Monday, April 11, 2011

Blog Chain - Get Directions First



This round of the blog chain was started by the ever awesome Eric who wants to know:

When was the last time you just sat down and started writing, 
with nothing but a whisper of an idea to guide you? 
Did you find it easy to do or did you find yourself struggling for a more organized story?

My first thought was that I couldn't remember the last time I did this, at least in regards to novels. When it comes to my novel writing, I don't ever just sit down and write anymore. I used to. Wrote two books this way. I finished the first one 5 years ago...and I'm doing the last (hopefully) round of edits on it right now. The second book I did this way is still waiting for an extensive rewrite.

I have three or four other novels that have a few chapters each that I won't finish until I sit down and plot. With novels, I just can't write like that anymore. It makes the editing process too long and too extensive and honestly, I don't know that I could just sit down and write with nothing but an idea.

However...

That only applies to novels. When it comes to poetry, I can't think it out. I just let it come. Picture books as well. I'll have an idea and I just sit and write.Yes, there is more editing, however these are short projects that don't take long.

I do enjoy just sitting and letting the words flow though. This is probably why I love doing those writing prompt exercises, where you are given a few words and have to make a story out of it - or the poetry games where you are given several word tiles to form into a poem. It's challenging and fun and it allows those creative muscles to stretch without having to worry about the editing that will be involved if I don't think it out beforehand :)

How about you? Do you ever just take an idea and run with it? Or do you think and plot out everything first?

Check out Margie's blog next to see what she has to say :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if beginning to write a sequel qualifies, but I'll take a look at Margie's blog. :0)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

There's nothing like writing when The Flow is with you!

Jemi Fraser said...

I've always started writing with next to nothing planned or written out. I'm trying to do a bit of an outline with my latest idea - we'll see how that goes! :)

Eric said...

I can see your point regarding writing entire novels. And maybe I do "think" about things in longer projects. It is really fun do just let go of the conscious thought though, huh? Great response, Michelle.

Cole Gibsen said...

That's exactly how it happened with me! S'long are the days where I wrote from the hip.

Michelle H. said...

Only a smidgen of an idea... sometimes that's all I have in my head to go by. And sometimes I could be thinking of something else entirely and then suddenly type out words like a river flowing through my fingers.

Christine Fonseca said...

I thnk it happens to all writers as they learn to hone the craft. Kinda sad in some respects...

Anonymous said...

It's hard to just sit down and write. My head gets in the way--what if this scene doesn't work? What if it doesn't advance the plot? Yadayadayada.

I've turned to outlining too.