Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday's Muse

I was going through my files the other day, trying to find something to post that wouldn't embarrass me too horribly, and I found my file of short poems from the Poetry.com Poetry in Motion contests. (The site is now run by Lulu.com and as far as I can tell, they no longer do these little contests. Which makes me very sad; working on these was one of my favorite parts of the day).

Every day, a different selection of words and characters are listed. Sort of like a big box full of word tiles. There are maybe 100 or so words and you can choose up to 20 to create a poem with and submit them in the Poetry in Motion contest. I sort of prided myself on using 20 words, even though you are allowed to use less.

This is something I used to do every day, just for fun. I really need to start doing it again. It's a great way to work your brain a little. Especially when they give you all French words with just a few English :D Those days are always fun.

Anyhow, here are a few of the ones I came up with.

The reality of passion is an
Eternity of touch
Finding, exploring desire
My reality in love and spirit
Without end


The lonely heart survives cruelty
Nameless dignity in silence
The sea of light lifts the dark
A laugh found love.


Delicious memories quietly return
Each taste of love
Offers sustenance
My ripe mind gorged again
Flaunting our bounty.


The face of a man
Lines etched by the years
His life slowly filled
By love, laughs and tears.

6 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

I'm telling ya....poetry is definitely your thing. I am so impressed - cause is so not mine!

B.J. Anderson said...

Such pretty poems!! That sounds like a good exercise to get your brain going.

Tana said...

Thank you for sharing! I really enjoy these.

Joshua McCune said...

Not a big fan of poetry in general, but these are very nice (short, sweet, and to the point), though my simpleton mind needs more rhymes (yes, I never made it past 3rd grate poetry :)

Michelle McLean said...

I actually much prefer rhyming poetry myself. But with this exercise, you have to work with what they give you :D Although, I did get in rhymes when I could, like in the last poem :D

Teri said...

Lovely! I'm not much for writing poetry, but I always enjoyed the exercise where one was given the last word of a stanza and had to create something from only that one word. It really would make me stretch. Thanks for sharing!