Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back To School Pros and Cons

Well, my baby started kindergarten yesterday, and my son just started first grade. Which means for the first time in seven years, I will be ALONE for the majority of the day. I think it's Pro and Con time.

PRO: I'm alone!!!! I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. Wooohooo!

CON: So far my alone time has consisted of sitting at the kitchen table basking in the silence. Wonderful, sure, but not very productive.

CON: Alone Time seems to move a lot faster than Regular Time - I sense a hostile conspiracy

PRO: I can crank my iPod up full blast and dance around the house, singing at the top of my lungs while I clean. (my husband and most likely my neighbors think this is a CON...but this is my list, they can make their own) ;-P

CON: Having to put the phone in my pocket on vibrate so I know if it rings....and having it go off in the middle of killing the big spider behind the toilet, scaring me half to death *note to self - forget the phone, let voicemail get it*

CON: I sorta miss their little faces (my kids', not the spiders')

PRO: I actually MISS their little faces - a nice change from those adorable countenances making me want to tear my hair out

CON: I can no longer blame the destroyed house on the kids...at least from 8-3

PRO: I can, however, blame it on the big spider behind the toilet

PRO: Having time to both clean, run errands, and write - all before the sun goes down

CON: (See CON #1 - me and productivity...not so much. Though to be fair, we are only on day 2....things may improve in that department) (I said MAY, don't laugh)

PRO: I can watch all my DVR'd shows during the day instead of staying up all night

PRO: The house (theoretically) gets clean and stays that way....at least until 3:00 - but still a vast improvement

CON: The speed with which the house gets demolished after 3:00 - holy cow, my kids are talented

PRO: The sweet hugs and "Mommy I missed you!"s from my kids when I pick them up

CON: Worrying about them being scared, lonely, picked on, confused, homesick, hungry, or in any other way in need of a mommy while they battle the terrors of the elementary school yard

PRO: Hearing "Mommy we LOVE school, it's awesome!"

CON: Knowing THAT particular sentiment won't last long

CON: Realizing my babies are growing so quickly

PRO: Witnessing the awesome people they are growing into

PRO: Having the time, energy, and desire to contemplate all this because I'M ALONE! :D

What are your Back to School Pros and Cons?

8 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

Since BTS means BTW...a lot more Cons than Pros! Just sayin!

About Me said...

Seems like a lot of cons now, but wait until you get use to the alone time, then it's pro, pro, pro. :)

Michelle McLean said...

lol well I went back and counted how many I had of each, and they are about evenly matched up. Although, really, I am LOVING it LOL I do miss them (a bit), I do worry a little, but really, man! It's just so nice to be sitting here and not have anyone demanding anything of me :) I think I may even get some writing done today :D

Unknown said...

I love when school starts. lol. The house is so nice and quiet. And wow, that must be some spider if it can destroy the house. lol.

This year, my 10 year old is going to a new school because we just moved. She knows nobody, and I'm worried she will be lonely. I hope the kids are friendly.

Stephanie McGee said...

Being the student myself the biggest con is the loss of time. My days will be given over to school and work. I think that Sunday might be the only day I have in which to write or do anything to unwind and relax. (Which means I will be sitting at home or going to church to do such things.)

Stephanie McGee said...

By the way, enjoy the silence and the free time while you can. Time will fly by and before we know it, it'll be holiday breaks and they'll be back at home.

Elana Johnson said...

AWESOME! My daughter is staring K today, which means that for the first time in 5 years, I'm going straight home after work. Where I will be alone for 45 minutes until my son gets home from junior high.

BLISS.

Carolyn V. said...

Awesome list. Mine are:

Pro- I can get my house clean.
Con- I need more sleep.