Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Guest Post with Shaun David Hutchinson!
Here are the top ten things I want to do in the next couple of years:
1. Go to Germany for Oktoberfest. I'm not even a big beer drinker, but how much fun would it be to get completely sloshed with a bunch of other drunk Germans?
2. Go to Comic-Con. I was supposed to go this year, but my plans to stalk Joss Whedon were derailed by that tiny little organ called my gallbladder. Gallbladders are stupid anyway. They store bile. Who needs bile? I bet Joss Whedon doesn't need bile.
3. Complete the Accelerated Free fall classes and get my sky diving license. From the first time I jumped, I was hooked. Okay, I was nauseated first, then I was hooked. They make pills for nausea but not for the awesomeness I felt sky diving.
4. Write a graphic novel. I know graphic novels are "in" right now, but I have a couple of ideas that I think would make great graphic novels. Sadly, I can't draw for crap, so I have to find an artist for help.
5. Learn to mountain climb. I live in Florida...which is as far from mountains as possible, but I still want to learn. There's something about the idea of hanging from a rock face by my hands.
6. Run a marathon. I know it sounds boring but I look at it as an opportunity to eat a butt-load of pasta the night before. Pasta....drool.
7. Write a book for adults. I'm not sure that I have anything to say to adults but I'd love to give it a try. But between you and me, I think most adults are a little closed minded. But not you guys. I'm talking about the other adults.
8. Visit the pyramids. I'm not sure they wouldn't be boring as heck but I'd love to stand in front of those massive structures and feel tiny.
9. Spend the night in a haunted house. I've actually done this before. I stayed in a haunted bed and breakfast on a Friday the 13th. There was also a storm and the power went out. But the truth is that it's hard to be scared in a B&B. I want to stay in a really cool, abandoned haunted house.
10. I want to work on a television show. I'm not even sure how to go about doing that, but I've always wanted to work in a writer's room. I'm not sure I'd like writing for TV but I think I'd be an amazing, fun experience. Also, it might get me closer to Joss Whedon.
Some people call this a bucket list, but I'm not waiting until I get close to death. That's what I wanted people to take from The Deathday Letter. There's no point waiting for the end of your life, because you never know when that might come. So I'm doing my stuff now. I'm going to try to live every day as if it's my last. Anyone care to join me?
Thanks for having me!
The Deathday Letter Site
Shaun's Site and Blog
Shaun on Twitter
Barnes and Noble
Simon and Schuster
and don't forget to enter our contest! Just leave a comment and you're entered!!