Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And How Writing is Like Dieting

I was going to post this tomorrow, but tomorrow is my turn on the Blog Chain. So, for your reading enjoyment, more ways writing and dieting are alike :D

4. It's easier to do when you have support

Dieting isn't easy. Neither is writing. They are both solitary journeys in that no one can do it for you. No one can force you to type out a few words anymore than anyone can force you to put down that cake (mmmmm....cake...) *ahem* However, when you have the support of a spouse or friend or crit partner, it is a lot easier to get through the bad times, and more fun to celebrate the good times.

My sis, mom, and I are all doing this diet together. We text every morning to report our weight loss from the day before, we call or text when we are feeling weak and tempted, and we celebrate with each other when we've overcome a temptation or dropped another pound. And when my mom is here, she walks the track with me. So much easier to have people to do this with.

Same with writing. I have awesome writer friends that I call, email or text every day - we report our word counts, our weak moments, our good news. We set up write-a-thon times and chat while we write. It's just easier to share this journey with those who are doing it too.

5. You can't compare journeys.

Everyone's journey is different. What works for one person might not work for someone else. My sis tried Nutrisystem. Loved it. Lost a ton. Same with Atkins (we've tried them all :D ) Me...I hated those diets. Did horribly. I did like Weight Watchers though. Did well. Now we are on the same diet. We are both doing well. But she's lost more than I have. My friend has lost more than I have also.

Does that mean that I'm doing poorly? Does it mean I won't meet my goal weight? No, of course not. I am still being successful and I will continue to succeed. It just might take me a little longer to get there.

Same goes for writing. Some people go the self-publishing route and make millions. Others do the exact same thing and barely break even. Some query and query and query and get no where even though they have a spectacular book. Others query five agents and get signed immediately. Does that make one writer better than the other? Not necessarily. Does it mean that writer will never reach their goal of publication? No, of course not.

It just might take a little longer to get there. People's success comes to them at different times. Comparing yours to someone else's does nothing but discourage you. Focus on your own awesomeness.  :)

6. If you give up, you'll never reach your goal.

Bottom line, whether you are dieting or writing, you've got to stick with it. There are going to be tough times. There are going to be temptations to quit. There are going to be people who are doing it better and faster.

But only one thing is absolutely sure....if you quit, you'll never reach your goal. Your waistline will stay the same, your manuscript will never be completed.

As long as you don't give up, you have succeeded. 1 pound or 1 page at a time, you will get to your goal. Just keep at it. :)

8 comments:

Liza said...

You got me with this yesterday and it worked again today. So well written and it really hits home.

Liza said...

You got me with this yesterday and it worked again today. So well written and it really hits home.

Shari said...

Completely spot on. Your last point reminded me of the Winston Churchill quote "Never, never, never give up."

Abhishek said...

So true!!!

You can accomplish much better when you have company and you never reach your goals when you quit!! Ha Ha!!


thanks a lot for posting!!
http://becomingprince.blogspot.com

Matthew MacNish said...

Excellent analogy Michelle! I've never dieted, because I don't mind being fat and awesome, but this makes sense to me anyway. I surely know all this is true of writing.

Lindsay said...

Great post. Having supports for both is the way to go!

Aubrie said...

#5 really helps me today. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Love the analogy. I especially agree with #4. I don't know where I would be without the support of my crit group.