Monday, March 11, 2013

Blog Chain - Loving Tropes



Miracles happen! I'm actually posting on my right day lol Our current topic was chosen by the lovely Kate who wants to know:

As a reader and/or a writer what are some of your favorite fiction tropes? Are you sucker for secretly in love with best friend type stories, stories set in mysterious boarding school stories, stories that contain time travel, or something else entirely? As a writer how do you try to give the tropes you tackle in your own books a fresh spin?

Ohhh this one is actually hard for me to answer because I sort of love them all lol But I'm definitely a sucker for the bad boy, star-crossed lovers, romance FOR SURE, mysterious castles, a good dose of danger. I love a kick-ass heroine who can still get rescued by her big strong hero every now and then :)

As an author who writes for a romance publisher, tropes play a huge part in my books. I'm required to have them in my stories. So I both go for my favorites and for those that I haven't done before (but enjoy reading). But I definitely try to put something a little different in there.

When you are dealing with tropes, they can get a bit predictable, so I try sometimes to focus on adding in little details that help set the story apart from others with the same tropes. The main backbone of the trope will be the same (governess falls in love with man of the house, bad boy with heart of gold falls for innocent girl, etc), but all the little ways you can spin and tweak that trope are what make them so fun to write, and read :)

How about you? What are your favorite tropes?

Be sure to drop by Demitria's blog and Alyson's blog to get their takes on the subject! :)

2 comments:

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

It's funny because I think tropes are most often associated with romance, but they are really in every genre.

Anonymous said...

I think it's cool that you can pull off the likable bad boy. I don't think I can.