Monday, November 12, 2012



Time for the Blog Chain again :) This topic was chosen by Sandra:

During National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), writers attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Do you set daily writing goals for yourself, either a certain word count or time spent on writing? Does this include other writing-related activities, like research, plotting, or revising? Do you focus on reaching the end of the journey (such as finishing your current project), or do you enjoy the writing process along the way?

Well, I've attempted NaNo several times and real life always reared its ugly head to prevent me from getting more than a few thousand words every time lol

I much prefer to revise than to write first drafts. I love it when the story is already down on paper and I get to go through and polish and polish until it really shines. I'm a fast reviser, almost obsessive. When edits come in from my editor, I sit down and barely do anything else until they are done and I enjoy every second :)

Not so much when I'm getting that first draft out. I struggle with those. So I do try to set daily word count goals when I'm working on a project - usually 1000 words a day. Unless I'm up against a deadline - in which case the goals get crazier the closer to the deadline I get :D At the moment, my daily goal is 4,000 - 5,000 a day :)

However, I do best when working with other people. My writing buddies and I will often set up write/chat sessions where we will write for 30 minutes and then take a break to chat for a few, and then go back for another 30. I find I am most productive when doing these sessions.

Or when I'm up against a deadline. I really need that pressure to get me to write every day. It's not that I don't love writing. I really do. But I'm a bit weird with it. I tend to go in spurts. I might have an idea hit me that I love so much I can't rest until it's OUT. I can crank out a full novel in 2 weeks or less if I'm really on a roll.

But most of the time, I'm more the slow and steady type. But self-set goals don't usually help me too much because I know I can break them without consequence. Hence, my love of a good deadline. Speaking of which, I'm up against one now so....time to write! :D

How about you? Have you done NaNo in the past or are you doing it this year? Do you set goals for yourself during the rest of the year?

If you want to follow this chain from the beginning, start with Kate's post on the topic. My fellow crazy writer Lisa posted just before me, and the next link in the chain is Alyson so be sure to swing by her blog tomorrow! :)

1 comment:

Margie Gelbwasser said...

I'm like you in that I work MUCH better on deadline. 4k-5k a day is crazy impressive! At this point, I'm just trying to write everyday, whatever it is. It's a start. :-)