Monday, May 23, 2011

Blog Chain - The Positive Side of Things


I totally flaked on this round of the blog chain -  I was supposed to post several days ago. My sincere apologies for my extreme tardiness!!!!

This round's topic was chosen by the lovely Michelle Hickman. The topic:

Be positive! Name some of the positive aspects of your writing --- be it a compliment from a mentor, friend or crit partner to anything special you learned concerning your writing skills.

I love this topic. Sure, there can be a lot of down sides to writing...rejections, a messy house, a backside that spends more time in a chair than is healthy for it ;-)

But the positive sooo outweighs the negative. Here are a few of mine:

  • the sense of accomplishment I feel when I finish a project. There really is nothing like it.
  • the amazing people I have met along the way. My closest friends now are writers. It is beyond wonderful to have people in my life who GET me, who know how I tick because they are hardwired the same way. My life has become so much richer, more full since I've met my writer friends. I don't know how I ever got along without them.
  • I've always always written stories and been good at essays, etc. But my skills increase with every word I write. It's gratifying to see how far I've come. There is nothing like developing a talent that you love. 
  • I've always had a little fantasy world going on in my head - and writing allows me to experience all those wonderful stories in a new way. Writing makes my stories come alive and allows me to share them with others. I sleep better when I'm writing. Yeah, I'm still somewhat of an insomniac. My brain has the hardest time calming down enough to let me sleep. But when I'm writing, it's not so bad. I have an outlet.
  • There is nothing like the high I get when I'm in super creative writing mode. It really is like a drug for me. I'm giddy, happy, in love with life and the world. Just talking about it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :) It's my absolute favorite subject :) There is nothing like being able to do what you love.
How about you? What are some of the positive aspects that writing brings to your world?

Be sure to check out our amazing Mr. Eric's response and head over to awesome Shaun Hutchinson's to see his positive side of things :)

9 comments:

Eric said...

Great answer. I like the last point the best. You are so right, that the feeling we get is exactly like a drug. It runs through our veins like wildfire, invigorating us with all the right (okay, some wrong ones too) words.

Shari said...

I love the amazing people I've met too. And my best friends are writers. It's an awesome community!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I have to agree with everything you posted here.

Mark said...

Positive aspects of writing are self-evident to me...art keeps us all from going insane and describes what's truly worthwhile and makes us human:)

Marianne said...

who starts the blog chain? I'm trying to figure out how these work...

Michelle H. said...

Your second point is great. Having writing friends that *get* who you are is just the best thing in the world, IMHO.

Jan Markley said...

I love the sense of community that I've found among writers and I hope I am contributing to that.

Unknown said...

No wonder why everyone says that it's awesome to meet people around here... I'm 100% with you on that one! And I agree with the other points too! I just finished an ms and I felt so happy! :D

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Oooh, I love the creative high you talk about it - that is a great feeling! It is also wonderful to finish a project - I just wrote "the end" on something recently and it is so wonderfully satisfying.