Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Blog Chain - How Do You Define Success?



Blog chain time :) (And I seriously just realized that I was supposed to post this yesterday. I was all proud of myself for not missing this round lol Having a holiday yesterday has really thrown off the schedule this week lol)

Anywho...This round's topic was chosen by the fabulous Cole Gibsen, who asked:

How do you define success? Is it getting published, making the New York Times list, 
or just finishing a novel?

I think I define success as the obtaining of a goal. It's sort of a stepping stone process with successes all along the way. From succeeding at finishing another book, to seeing that book published, to seeing that book do well after it's published.

Sometimes the "success" I obtain for a particular goal isn't exactly as I dreamed it would be. But that doesn't mean that I haven't obtained that success.

Am I on the NYT Bestseller list? No. But are my books published? Yes! Success! :) I got my dream. At the end of the day, I'm paid to write, and am working with an amazing publisher that has been wonderful so far. Sure, I still have the dream that most writers have...seeing your book in print, doing signings in bookstores, hitting bestseller lists, etc. My books are ebooks right now, and I am very happy to see them out in the world. Especially in such a digital world. But yes, I'd still like to see that "book in print" part of the dream come true :) And sure I'd like my sales numbers to be better. But, bottom line, they are selling. People are reading them. And liking them (according to the reviews) :) That is an incredibly amazing SUCCESSFUL feeling :)

I'm determined to enjoy the successes that are coming my way. Because they ARE successes and I've worked hard for them. I sort of view it like I do a diet :) Baby steps. Small goals and successfully obtaining those goals.

Yes, I still have goals I'm striving to meet. But I'm happy with where I am. It's when I focus on what I haven't achieved yet that I get depressed. If I focus on what I HAVE achieved, it's easier to be happier with my successes, easier to work harder toward the goals I still want to achieve.

I'm better off now than I was a year ago, and that's not a bad place to be :)

How do you define success?

Be sure to swing by Demitria's blog for her answer, and stop by Alyson's for her's :)

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

For me, getting published was success - and a miracle. Everything since that first book has been bonus.