Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How To Get Inspired


Quote of the Day:
A writer should concern himself with whatever absorbs his fancy, stirs his heart, and unlimbers his typewriter.
~ E.B. White

This is a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately, mostly because I am looking for some inspiration for a Middle Grade book I've been wanting to write. Unfortunately for me, I had an awesome idea the other day and neglected to write it down. Which means that idea has flown the crazy and cluttered coop of my mind and I'm stuck with bubkiss, nada, nothing, zilch *le sigh* Maybe it'll come back to me ;-D

People often ask me where I come up with ideas for my stories. The answer...everywhere. Seriously, watch what you say to me (no worries if you are a writer and start out by saying "this is my idea for a new story" - I'm not going to steal it from you) :D But in every day conversation....yeah, something you say to me may end up in my next book :D

I recently showed my husband a scene from my currently in edit mode WIP - and he burst out laughing because it was a pretty close rendition of a conversation we'd had once.

Inspiration is everywhere, in music, art, people, movies, books (have you ever wanted to write a retelling of a fairy tale or a cool twist on an old story?) When it comes right down to it, I suppose I’m inspired by life in general. Events of the past, my own life experiences, the experiences of others expressed through music, theater, art (a really great painting can get all kind of creative juices flowing – the walls of my house are plastered with historical romance inspiring art), movies, books, etc, watching the world around me, experiencing that world, living in other worlds through vivid dreams….all of this combines to create the stories that run through my head at all hours of the day or night.

And how is this for inspiration? A friend pointed me to this site and I just had to laugh. Do you need help getting motivated to write? Help sticking to those writing goals? Well check out Write or Die. Hands down, one of the best writing motivational tools I've seen. I'm still laughing...in a good way :D

You set your time or word count goals and start typing. There are different settings for this application, everything from gentle reminders when you stop writing, to annoying music that plays until you start typing again. But the real kicker is the setting that will delete what you've already written unless you continue to write. Now how is that for motivation? :D

Also, I know I posted a video from her last week, but I absolutely love author Jackson Pearce. She just cracks me up. She tells it how it is, describes writers and our lives perfectly. Just hilarious. This is her take on where she gets her inspiration :D



So where do you get your inspiration?

8 comments:

Tana said...

Wow, thanx for introducing me to Jackson Pearce! Too fun.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! She IS funny! (But I steal my ideas, too) LOL!

dellgirl said...

Thanks for the inspiration, I get inspiration from many sources also. And, I am laughing before I even go to "Write or Die". I'll check it out right now. Hope I don't get hooked on it.

Scott said...

I'm like you - my inspiration is all around me. Oh, and I've put a conversation or two I've had with people in my work. Go figure.

Oh, and before I forget, I'm all the time forgetting ideas if I don't write them down. The one problem I have is sometimes those ideas occur when I'm in the shower and there's not a pen, piece of paper, or dry erase marker in sight.

S

Michelle McLean said...

Exactly Scott! In fact, I was in the shower when I got that idea that I've now forgotten - I kept repeating it to myself over and over so I'd remember it when I got out, but then my kids distracted me and by the time I remembered I'd had an idea, it was gone. *sigh* still haven't remembered it either LOL

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

(have you ever wanted to write a retelling of a fairy tale or a cool twist on an old story?)

Oh yes. The MC of my recently completed novel is a Cinderella dealing with post-traumatic stress while her happily ever after gets completely screwed up.

Like you, I've found inspiration in so many places and conversations and people. It's just a matter of putting it on a page before it flitters away.

Great post!

B.J. Anderson said...

That was an awesome video and so very true! Great post and thanks for the inspiration.

Roni Loren said...

Like you, my ideas come from everywhere. And typically they hit me right before I fall asleep.