Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Leap From the Ledge

I posted this a few years ago, geared towards all my fellow writers who were trying their hardest to be patient while writing/querying/waiting on subs, etc. But this can actually apply to just about anything in life.

My kids are on their first day of summer vacation. I have a severe love/hate relationship with summer vacation. It's nice to not have the morning rush, fun to stay up a bit later and sleep in the next morning, fun to take off and play with the kids whenever we want. But sometimes, when the boredom sets in or they start picking at each other....oh, do I start praying for fall :) I'm out on that ledge just yanking my newly graying hairs out one at a time.

So...when those days get to me, or when I'm the typical writerly ledge waiting on submissions, here are a few good tips to follow :)



Quote of the Day:
A writer's life is not designed to reassure your mother.
~Rita Mae Brown

When my writer buddies and I start feeling the inevitable stress/depression/feelings of inferiority...the down sections of this wonderful roller coaster we are all on...we like to joke that we are 'living on the edge.' Sometimes we set up camp, complete with hotdogs and marshmallow roasts, and I believe one friend once set up an amusement park on her ledge.

Yes, we really do get that elaborate :) It gives us the opportunity to blow off some steam, vent our angst to those who will appreciate it, and most of the time, our ledge time allows us to scream to the high heavens....and then we get back to work, a little less stressed, a little more refreshed. (And in the mommy world, hanging with a few fellow moms, sans kids, can work wonders too!)

Another wonderful friend told me that when you are on that ledge, you have two choices...take a deep breath and back away, or leap off and enjoy the flight. :)

Usually, I take that deep breath, back away slowly, and continue on. But I think this time, I'm going to take that jump and enjoy the flight. Not permanently, of course. But for today - yep. I'm feeling the need to fly :)

So, I am shutting off my computer, and I'm going to spend the entire day getting my house together and playing with my kids. Tomorrow I'll get working again (and I'm sure I'll be back on the ledge soon). But heck, I've backed away often enough, maybe jumping will keep me from that ledge a little longer :)

But before I go, here are my top 3 tactics I usually employ to make that ledge a little less inviting.....

1. My friends - those that are in the writing and querying (or mommy!) trenches with me and understand the mad emotions that go with this "hobby" of ours. There is nothing like engaging in a full out vent session with those who truly feel your pain.

2. My funnies - a laugh cures a thousand ills. I pull up that LOL site, google jokes, or go watch a movie that I know will put a smile on my face. There is nothing like a full out belly laugh to put you in a good mood.

3. My reading - I have been reading for as long as I can remember. In fact, I think my earliest memory is of reading. I remember lying on the floor with a book and tape set and looking up and seeing my parents in the kitchen. My mom said I got those books and tapes for Christmas when I was 2. I still remember opening the box. I had never seen anything so beautiful :)

What do you guys do when the ledge starts beckoning? Do you back away slowly or take the leap? Or do you just set up camp and party for a while? (Hey, sometimes that can be a lot of fun, especially if a bunch of your writer buddies are current residents) :D


No comments: